Homemade Breakfast Sausage Patties
Make your own homemade breakfast sausage patties with only 6 ingredients and I promise, you’ll never want to buy store bought again!
Sausage for breakfast is a staple at our house. We have it a few times a week at least. It has protein and fat and is a great way to bulk up our breakfast to prepare for a great day.
This recipe is naturally gluten and dairy free which is helpful for anyone navigating food sensitivities or allergies. It’s crazy what they put gluten or dairy in these days… and something I didn’t quite realize until we had to remove it from our diet.
What to eat with homemade breakfast sausage patties
Eating a balanced breakfast is important to me, and especially as a Mom of three. I am pretty particular about what they eat for breakfast because I know my kids, and when they start the day with the right kinds of foods that fill them up and will sustain them, it’s a much better day for me and/or their teachers!
I generally serve sausage patties with sweet potatoes, toast with butter or gluten free pancakes and maple syrup. I like to cook a big breakfast every morning, but if you don’t have time to make these in the morning you can easily make them ahead of time and freeze them. They will be ready to grab out of the freezer and either warm up on the skillet, or in the microwave as a great way to start your day with wholesome nutrition.
You could also serve them with Lemon Blueberry Muffins or Healthy Pumpkin Muffins.
- I recommend using 1 lb of ground pork along with ground turkey or ground chicken, but you can use any of those meats individually. Just use 2 lbs of your meat of choice.
- Don’t like one of the spices I used? Feel free to swap it out! I find Italian seasoning to be an easy blend that most people have on hand, but if you don’t you could always substitute it with rosemary, thyme, marjoram and/or oregano.
- You can make these sausage patties ahead of time, either uncooked or cooked. You can freeze them uncooked, just line the container with parchment paper to prevent them from sticking to one another.
- This is a great meal prep recipe! You can double this recipe if you’d like and make enough sausage to have on hand for a week or two depending on the size of your family!
How do you make perfect breakfast sausage?
- If you have time, you can use a hand mixer or a stand mixer with a paddle attachment to thoroughly mix all ingredients. This allows the patties to bind and take shape better than mixing with your hands.
- When shaping the patties use gentle pressure. You will form each patty into a ball, then gently press using your palms, being careful not to press all the way down so they won’t crack and fall apart.
- Sausage patties will shrink when cooked, so to help them cook evenly, gently press down in the center of the patty to allow more meat to be on the outside of each patty. This will help your homemade breakfast sausage patties to be even once cooked.
How to cook homemade breakfast sausage patties
- Cook the patties in a skillet on medium heat. I cook on a cast iron skillet. I don’t recommend cooking higher than medium because you don’t want to burn the outside of the patties and leave the center uncooked (which is another important reason to make sure your patties are a bit thinner in the middle)
- Don’t make the patties too thick or they will take much longer to cook and you run the risk of them burning. I recommend making each patty about 2″ in diameter and approximately 1/4″thick.
- Once patties are cooked through, transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel to soak up any extra grease.
What makes breakfast sausage different?
Breakfast sausage has more seasonings and flavor due to the spices used which is generally a mix of thyme, sage, salt and pepper.
The ingredients I have used in this recipe for homemade breakfast sausage patties are
- ground pork
- ground turkey
- italian seasoning
- sea salt
- black pepper
I personally don’t care for thyme, but if you want to add in 1/2 tsp or so you could to give it even more flavor.
This recipe was inspired by Homemade Breakfast Sauce Patties in the cookbook, The Thyroid Cookbook by Lisa Markley.
Homemade Breakfast Sausage Patties
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 lb ground turkey 93/7
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp sage
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Combine all ingredients EXCEPT for olive oil in a bowl and mix well.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Form patties and place them in skillet. You will have to do at least 2 batches.
- Flip the patties once they begin to turn brown using a spatula. Internal temperature shoud reach 165°F.
- Once patties are done cooking, place on a paper towel lined plate to soak up excess grease.
- You can use ground turkey or ground chicken for this recipe.
- Cook the patties in a skillet on medium heat. I don’t recommend cooking higher than medium because you don’t want to burn the outside of the patties and leave the center uncooked.
- I roll the mixture in my hands to form a patty. Don’t make the patties too thick or they will take much longer to cook and you run the risk of them burning. I recommend making them about 2″ in diameter and make them approximately 1/4″thick.
Love this! We make breakfast sausage balls but I don’t love that I don’t know what’s in the prepackaged sausage. This would be much more reassuring for this mama.
Yes! All clean ingredients!
Sounds delicious! I’ll have to try this – will definitely make me feel much better about eating breakfast sausage.