My 11 Best Healthy Trader Joe’s Foods
Eating healthy doesn’t have to be boring! Today I’m sharing my 11 best healthy Trader Joe’s foods… what do you think made it on my list?
*As of Summer 2018 I no longer follow the Weight Watchers program. I promote a balanced lifestyle without diet culture. You can read about it here.
A few years ago, I was a Trader Joe’s virgin. I had heard people rant and rave about how amazing it was, and I never “got” it because I’d never been to one before. Then, they opened the only Trader Joe’s in Kansas near me and I was pumped.
When I walked in I felt really overwhelmed by it all because I had only heard how amazing it was… but how was I supposed to know what to buy?!? I stalked Instagram posts and just started buying things and slowly discovered my favorites 🙂
Since then, I’ve become a regular customer of Trader Joe’s and thought I should share my 11 best healthy Trader Joe’s foods that I buy most every time I go. You ready? Here it is!
- Avocados- I know you can buy avocados anywhere, but at Trader Joe’s (TJ’s) you can buy small avocados that are the perfect portion. I typically use 25g of avocado at a time, for 1 Weight Watchers Smart Point, so I love the smaller size. It’s also a great option for my children because they can each have half of the avocado and nothing is left to waste!
- Riced Cauliflower- This is a well sought after TJ’s product that they have a hard time keeping in stock. If you ever use cauliflower instead of rice, this is fantastic because all the hard work is done for you! It is perfect for my Healthy Mexican Cauliflower Rice!
- Uncured Turkey Bacon- Bacon. Who doesn’t love bacon? What I don’t love is spending 2-3 smart points per slice of bacon. When I found TJ’s uncured turkey bacon I was so excited! It has great flavor and you can have 4 slices for 1 smart point! Thankfully my kids love it, too!
- Mandarin Orange Chicken- Another TJ’s customer favorite! This is a great option I love to have on hand for nights that I didn’t get dinner prepared, or just need something quick and easy. I bake the chicken and serve it over the riced cauliflower for a delicious meal that is only 9 smart points for a serving, and is a healthier option that Chinese takeout.
- Mandarins- They are so juicy and sweet and delicious! My boys are eating 2-3 at a time! I know you can buy these at most grocery stores, but the ones I’ve been buying lately from TJ’s have been the best!
- Simply Sour Cream- I discovered this sour cream early in my Weight Watchers journey and am so thankful I did! I can have 2T for ZERO smart points. I have tacos at least once (ok, usually twice) per week and a dollop of this sour cream is the perfect addition!
- Turkey Meatballs- I originally bought these as a quick lunch for my kids, and soon realized that they had amazing flavor. Sometimes I heat a few up for lunch and drizzle a little pasta sauce over top and it tastes like I should have worked much harder in the kitchen to make them, when all I did was pop them in my microwave. You can have 2 meatballs for 3 smart points or 3 for 4 smart points. These are also wonderful over a bed of butternut squash noodles. I just use my veggie spiralizer to make the noodles… they are amazing!
- Turkey Corn Dogs- Yes, I am an adult, and yes, sometimes I just want to eat a stinkin’ corn dog! Well, TJ’s to the rescue! These are SO good! One corn dog is 5 smart points and satisfies that childhood craving! Plus, my husband and kids now prefer these to the “other” corn dogs and I feel so much better giving them these than the others I could buy.
- Lite 3 Cheese Blend- This is the one item I buy EVERY SINGLE TIME I go to TJ’s. I always buy 2 packages so I have one in my freezer should I run out. I eat 14g for 1 smart point and it melts well and has great flavor. I highly recommend you try this cheese! I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.
- Everything but the Bagel Seasoning- Everyone loves this seasoning, including myself! My favorite way to use it is on avocado toast or sprinkled on my eggs. I’m still exploring with this seasoning so if you have a favorite way to use it let me know in the comments so I can give it a try! You can buy this on Amazon, though I will tell you it is much cheaper in store. You can see it on Amazon here.
- Sprouted 7-grain bread- Oprah loves bread and so do I! I also believe we deserve to eat all the food groups, and this one only has 1g of sugar! MAKE NOTE: Since the new packaging this bread is now 2 smart points for 1 slice. A reader just told me about this because I didn’t know the nutrition changed along with the packaging. Still a great option, just make note of the increase in smart points if you are on Weight Watchers.
Another reason I love Trader Joe’s is because you walk in the store and are greeted with beautiful flowers! I love splurging sometimes and buying some for myself because what girl doesn’t love flowers every once in a while? Since I don’t like to reward myself with food, a beautiful bouquet of flowers is a great alternative and will last longer, too. I’ll remember them for much longer than anything I could eat to celebrate!
Do you have favorites that I didn’t mention? (I know someone is going to comment wine… since I go to the store in Kansas, they don’t carry wine… so I’ve honestly never bought it from TJ’s!)
Do you love any of the foods I shared? I’d love to know! Leave me a comment below!
The Weight Watchers points that were calculated are using WW e-tools calculator (2017) and is not sponsored or affiliated with Weight Watchers.
You have some great finds on your list! I want to try the sour cream and the turkey bacon.
I also love the Savory Mini Crackers. 30 grams for 3 smart points. I eat them with guacamole. They have a good crunch and you get a lot of them in 30 grams!
I haven’t ever bought those! I have bought their reduced guilt guac and do love that, though! I’ll give the crackers a try! Thanks, Kristen!
I love the chicken! Never baked it or thought about using the ricwd cauliflower but gonna give that a try. I did go get the 7 sprouted bread after you posted it on Instagram and wow is it amazing! I bought the last loaf so must be popular! Excited to try the sour cream and cheese!
Yay! So glad you like the bread and let me know what you think about the other stuff when you try it!
I love TJs, and this is a great list! They recently changed the sprouted bread. I first thought the packaging just changed then I looked at the nutrition facts. The bread now only has 2g fiber per slice when I believe it used to be 4g. Is the new bread still 1 smart point? I’m really bummed they changed it, I loved the original.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention, Megan! I saw that the packaged changed but didn’t know the nutrition facts had as well. It is now in fact 2 smart points for 1 slice now. I will change my blog post accordingly. Darn! Thanks again for letting me know!
TJ’s has the BEST crab cakes in their freezer section. 1 for 1 sp. 2 for 3 sp. all crab. No filler!!! Delicious!!
I’ve never tried them! Thanks for telling me about them, Kerri!
I absolutely love the cilantro chicke mini wontons. 4 for 1 SP. They are amazing as an appearance or in broth as a soup. I also love the dark chocolate wedges at the register- 2 SP per wedge. I love your list- definitely some new things to try!
I haven’t ever tried the dark chocolate wedges at the register… maybe I should give those a try! How do you cook your wontons? The only time I made them were in the microwave and I didn’t care for them. Any tips on how to make them?
Hi there! I love their mini chicken wontons! I have bought TH’s miso ginger broth (1 cups for 1sp). I’ll heat up the broth, and dump the wontons in that for a DELICIOOUS, Miso Ginger Wonton soup at just 2sp! I’ll add scallions and siracha on top for added flavor! Quick and low point dinner!
That sounds delicious, Alaina!
Most of the items you listed are my go-to’s as well. I love the Everything But the Bagel seasoning on my hard boiled eggs. Yumm
I’ve seen lots of people use it on hard boiled eggs, lucky for me I have some in my fridge so you just helped me decide my afternoon snack 😉 Thanks Nicole!
Sorry- chicken and appetizer!
Good to know! Thanks for calculating sp too. I can’t believe the turkey bacon is so low in sp
Planning on having a blt this weekend!!?
Thanks for stopping by, Clare! Hope you enjoy the turkey bacon!
The chicken cilantro mini wontons 4 for 1 point and the vegetable fried rice 1/2 cup 3 points 1 cup 5 points so delicious!!!
I’ve never tried the veggie fried rice, just the chicken. Good to know it’s good! Thanks, Donna!
Chili lime chicken patties in frozen section .
I can only get them when I can catch a ride
With my daughter ?. Next time I get there I’m going to buy 10 packs ?
I bought those once a really long time ago! Need to buy again!
we love the riced cauliflower and the turkey meatballs. Both are my son’s faves!
The coconut milk mini bon bons are only 4 points for the entire box which is 8 bon bons. So good!