I’m so excited to share this recipe with you today! This 7 Layer Salad recipe is a family favorite of mine from growing up. My Mom has made this recipe for many years, and today, I’m sharing it with you!
This 7 Layer Salad is simple to make and I promise, it will please a crowd!
This past Christmas I was in charge of bringing a salad to my in-laws and I didn’t want to take a boring bag salad with dressing. I wanted to take something I thought they’d really enjoy so I called my Mom and asked her to share her recipe!
Thankfully, my in-laws enjoyed it and it rekindled my love of this 7 Layer Salad, too! My boys really like this salad as well and I’ve made it again since Christmas and they’ve gobbled it up!
How do you make 7 layer salad?
This recipe is simple!
I promise it’s not complicated at all… in fact, you’ll never find an overly complicated recipe on my blog.
I love simple, delicious recipes.
You’ll start by cutting up the lettuce and cleaning it. I love using a salad spinner to clean my lettuce. I cut up the lettuce, put it inside with a little water and let the spinner go to work. It works perfect every time!
After cleaning the lettuce you will
- Cook the bacon
- Clean and dice all the veggies
- Layer it all in a 9×13
- Refrigerate prior to serving
I believe family recipes should be shared.
If they aren’t, we can’t continue to pass down those memories and traditions. I hope someday my kids will want to share their favorite recipe of mine that reminds them of their childhood.
I have fond memories of many recipes of my Mom and my Grandma that I love to make for my own family!
This 7 Layer Salad is great for social gatherings!
- Holiday gatherings
- Potluck dinner
- Super Bowl party
- Summer BBQ
- Birthday party
- Anywhere you are in charge of bringing veggies!
On my Mom’s original recipe card she has written “Believe it or not this salad can be kept for about a week before the lettuce begins to wilt” So far, it hasn’t lasted a week at our house to test her theory because we eat it all in a few days!
I hope you enjoy my Mom’s 7 Layer Salad as much as I have through the years. If you serve it, I’d love to hear how your friends and family enjoyed it!
Mom’s 7 Layer Salad
- 1 head lettuce chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1/2 green pepper chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas uncooked
- 1/4 cup red onion chopped
- 15 oz mayo
- 1 TBS sugar
- 4 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 oz center cut bacon fried & chopped
- Place chopped lettuce in a 9×13 pan.
- Cook bacon in skillet and allow to cool.
- Chop all remaining vegetables and layer on top of lettuce in this order- celery, pepper, onion and peas.
- Spread mayonnaise on top of vegetables and sprinkle with sugar.
- Add shredded cheese and top with crumbled bacon.
- Mom says you MUST cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight. (If you don’t have that much time 1-2 hours is sufficient)
Photo Credit: Jennifer Draper