Walking: The Most Underrated Form of Exercise
SHOW NOTES: Episode 22
Did you know that walking has many health benefits?
Today I am talking about all walking and debunking some of the negative stigma around it not being a good enough workout.
On today’s episode I talk about why I love walking. Walking is the most underrated form of exercise. It is a really good way to move your body and get the blood flowing and can be done in short 10 minute increments throughout your day. Walking is completely free with no gym membership obligations or fancy equipment, it is accessible for the majority of people and all you need is a good pair of tennis shoes with or without workout clothes.
Some benefits of walking include improving your immune system, boosting your energy levels, and improving cardiovascular health. I talk about setting realistic goals when you begin a new workout routine, starting to walk in shorter increments and working your way to a longer time and distance and giving yourself breaks so your muscles can heal. Not only is walking low impact and less stressful on the body, but it is also good for your mental health and if you walk outside in the morning you get the benefits of fresh air and sunlight.
Some studies have shown that benefits to walking can include blood sugar stabilization and digestion improvement if you take a walk 10-15 minutes after a meal and walking 30 minutes a day can help reduce stroke in women by 20% or 40% when picking up the pace. I also dive into a study done by JAMA Network that shows that more steps taken per day are associated with lower mortality rates until about 7,500 steps and not the 10,000 steps society has been telling us we need to take in order to be healthy.
I want to just give you that permission that if you decide to just go for the walk, you’re still doing a really good service to your body because the goal of exercising is to increase our mood and our physical health. My hope is that I can help people learn to enjoy exercise.
Moving our bodies doesn’t have to be complicated. I hope this episode inspires you to lace up your tennis shoes and go for a walk as we transition into the warmer spring months and I want to challenge you to get outside and take a walk around the block or invite a friend and walk around your neighborhood or community center. Any walking that you’re doing is being kind to your body and loving your body well.
Thank you for listening! I would love to connect with you on Instagram (@loveyourbodywell) and hear what you thought about today’s episode!
IN THIS EPISODE, WE COVER:
- Walking is a really good way to move your body and get the blood flowing
- Walking can be done in short 10 minute increments throughout your day
- Walking is completely free with no gym membership obligations or fancy equipment
- Walking is accessible for the majority of people and all you need is a good pair of tennis shoes with or without workout clothes
- Benefits of walking include improving your immune system, boosting your energy levels, and improving cardiovascular health.
- Setting realistic goals when you begin a new workout routine
- Walking in shorter increments and working your way to a longer time and distance
- Giving yourself breaks so your muscles can heal
- Walking is low impact and less stressful on the body
- Walking is good for your mental health
- If you walk outside in the morning you get the benefits of fresh air and sunlight
- Benefits to walking can include blood sugar stabilization and digestion improvement if you take a walk 10-15 minutes after a meal
- Walking 30 minutes a day can help reduce stroke in women by 20% or 40% when picking up the pace
- A study by JAMA Network shows that more steps taken per day are associated with lower mortality rates until about 7,500 steps
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- JAMA Network study about 7500 steps a day can be found here and here
- Sunlighten™ Infrared Saunas — You can save up to $600 by mentioning Love Your Body Well and as a special offer for my Kansas City friends, you can try out Sunlighten™ Day Spa and get 5 sessions at $95 by mentioning me!
- Just Ingredients Dry Shampoo – Save 10% using Code Amy10
- Check out last week’s episode here!
- I’d love to connect with you on Instagram: @loveyourbodywell
- Join my email list HERE to stay connected!
MORE ABOUT THE LOVE YOUR BODY WELL PODCAST:
Nourishment from the inside out.
The Love Your Body Well Podcast is a safe place for you to learn about healing your relationship with your body while also focusing on wellness so you can feel your best.
I’m your host, Amy Reinecke, and I’ve made it my mission to empower you to own your journey and embrace the path before you. Wellness is multi-faceted and there are so many areas that create the foundation for overall wellness. As women, too often the number on the scale or the size of our jeans takes precedence, and the truth is, it’s about a lot more than that.
On the Love Your Body Well Podcast you’ll be encouraged to be an advocate for your health, learn to listen and love the skin you’re in, embrace your journey and heal your body and mind with self love and compassion.This podcast is for you if you want to take back control of your health and embark on a self love journey to love, cherish and care for the one body you have. Here, you will learn how to love your body well.
Join my email list and connect with me on my blog at www.loveyourbodywell.net and Instagram @loveyourbodywell.
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, the host or guest of this podcast will receive a commission at no additional cost to you.
This podcast is for informational purposes only and is not intended to provide a diagnosis or replace medical care.
I love walking!!! Walking is my go to for exercising. It’s good for the body and mind. I put on a good playlist and listen while I walk!! Today I walked to the gym and exercised for a bit then walked backed home; felt great!!!!
I’m so glad you love walking so much! So good for you!