SHOW NOTES: Episode 57
Teaching our kids about body image often can feel hard. I have Keri Cooper, holistic psychotherapist, on to share more about this concept of a healthy body image and self-talk.
As a parent, it’s natural to feel overwhelmed and unsure about how to navigate the topic of body image with your children. I’ve personally grappled with body image struggles and understand the importance of prioritizing holistic wellness. Keri explained the importance of setting boundaries and modeling self-care for children. She also shared the impact of body image and self-talk on children and the fear parents often have of passing on negative body image issues.
We discussed the importance of addressing body image and healthy habits with both boys and girls. We agreed that it’s not just mothers who play a role in shaping body image, but fathers as well. We’ve observed more dads with body issues and extreme dieting habits, which can also influence their children.
Social media also plays a significant role in shaping body image.
The pressure that social media can place on us even as young kids is worrisome. As parents, it’s so important to model healthy behaviors so they can learn from us first and foremost. Some ways that parents can model these healthy behaviors are things like sitting down to eat with our children and not engaging in extreme diets or strange eating patterns.
We also talked about exercise. Exercise is not just about physical health. It’s also so important for your mental health. Keri and I encourage parents to make exercise a fun and enjoyable activity for their children. It’s essential to strike a balance and not label foods as good or bad, but focus on their nutritional value. We also discussed the need to break away from diet culture and create new patterns that promote a healthier mindset regarding body image and exercise.
Keri reassures us as parents that we can support our children’s inner voice and confidence, even if you also struggle with body image.
We also discuss how to handle children struggling with body image or eating disorders, and the importance of seeking professional help if needed. I want today’s conversation to inspire you to help raise the next generation of people who have a healthy body image.
Thank you for listening! I would love to connect with you on Instagram (@loveyourbodywell) and hear what you thought about today’s episode!
IN THIS EPISODE, WE COVER:
- Setting boundaries and modeling self-care for children
- Pressure of hustle culture and finding balance in children’s schedules
- Impact of body image and self-talk on children
- Influence of social media on body image
- Importance of addressing body image and healthy habits with both boys and girls
- Modeling healthy behaviors and avoiding extreme diets
- Importance of exercise for mental health and making it enjoyable for children
- Teaching children about balanced eating and listening to hunger cues
- Importance of family dinners and involving children in meal planning and cooking
- Accepting and embracing natural body weight, not projecting insecurities onto children
- Challenges parents may face with body image or eating disorders in children
- Importance of recognizing the issue and seeking specialized help if needed
- Supporting siblings of children with eating disorders
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Connect with Keri on her website: www.kericooperholistictherapy.com and check out her book: Mental Health Uncensored: 10 Foundations Every Parent Needs To Know
- Get 85% off of PaleoValley Vitamin C!
- JUST INGREDIENTS — Save 20% sitewide using my link HERE!
- Check out last week’s episode here!
- I’d love to connect with you on Instagram: @loveyourbodywell
- Join my email list HERE to stay connected!
MORE ABOUT THE LOVE YOUR BODY WELL PODCAST:
Nourishment from the inside out.
The Love Your Body Well Podcast is a safe place for you to learn about healing your relationship with your body while also focusing on wellness so you can feel your best.
I’m your host, Amy Reinecke, and I’ve made it my mission to empower you to own your journey and embrace the path before you. Wellness is multi-faceted and there are so many areas that create the foundation for overall wellness. As women, too often the number on the scale or the size of our jeans takes precedence, and the truth is, it’s about a lot more than that.
On the Love Your Body Well Podcast you’ll be encouraged to be an advocate for your health, learn to listen and love the skin you’re in, embrace your journey, and heal your body and mind with self-love and compassion. This podcast is for you if you want to take back control of your health and embark on a self love journey to love, cherish and care for the one body you have. Here, you will learn how to love your body well.
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, the host or guest of this podcast will receive a commission at no additional cost to you.
This podcast is for informational purposes only and is not intended to provide a diagnosis or replace medical care.